counter

Saturday, January 30, 2010

wholesale mussings

I'm talking more with the women who is interested in wholesaling my items. I'm not going to mention the shop yet in case it doesn't go though. After chatting with a acquaintance who has had success with her crafting and is a pro at the wholesale thing I was in a better position to contact the shop interested in me.

Michelle, my mentor in the expansion game, had several suggestions for me. First she said that I will need to sell my stuff for less to the wholesale people than I do on etsy. The wholesale people need to feel that they are competitive with my online prices. One thing that she suggested was to up my price (online) by $1 right now and another $1 each time I get a wholesale deal. She also suggested that I set a minimum price amount that the wholesale lady needs to reach (she suggested $100).

I have thought about raising my prices....I wish my sales were more consistent, they come in spurts so I start worrying that if I go higher I won't sell. However, in person I raised my price to $14 for the winter craft fairs and I still did ok. I worry about raising my price too much on etsy because shipping costs already raise the price. I could raise my upfront price and use free shipping or I can raise my upfront price and my shipping price or I can raise my shipping price.

If I were to raise my upfront price one dollar each onesie would be $13. too bad I am incredibly afraid/paranoid about the number 13. I know it seems silly but you smash your kneecap, femur and tibia on a Friday the 13th when you are 13 years old and then tell me how you feel about the number 13.

So I think I will raise my base price by .50 and my shipping price by .50 and bada bing one dollar increase. It should be pretty easy to do as I already raised shipping on a few items by .50 and forgot about it an never did the others.

So now my base cost is $12.50 and my shipping is $2.50 giving us a total cost of $15. Michelle said I should not go below paying myself min wage...$8.75 in Oregon. My short sleeve onesies cost me $1.50 each and the long sleeve $2.00 each. I will only wholesale short sleeve. Some of my designs take about an hour to cut and sew...like the bird and cupcake....others like the rocket ship and fox take close to two hours. So I need to stick with simpler designs for wholesale.

Let's use the bird. The bird takes an hour to sew at $8.75 + $1.50 for the onesie = $10.25. Michelle suggested that I offer to sell my stuff at $9 a item and remind the shop that I have my items prices really low. So we have a $1.25 deficit. The question is can I start doing a combination of hand and machine sewing to cut down a bit on the time it takes to make the onesie but still get the look I go for? I feel like I'm cheating...but most people buy my items because they like the designs, although I think the running stitch adds to the look. Perhaps I can do layering with the machine and outline stitching by hand. I am going to start by trying to make the stitching on the cupcake bottom with the machine set at a longer stitch and then hand sew it onto the onesie. I'll post a comparison later on and update what the wholesale lady has to say in response to my email... as follows below:)

Thank you so much for your interest. I would love to know more about your boutique. Do you have a website I could visit? I have not done wholesale yet, as I have been focusing on building a customer base since July. Since I have been starting out with Etsy I have priced my items low seeing that I hand cut and stitch everything. I know usually when sellers do wholesale orders they sell their items for less than their Etsy price. Some of my designs take far more time to sew while others. I feel I have several designs I can stitch in a reasonable amount of time that wholesale pricing would be possible. I would love to know what types of arrangements you have with other people you work with and learn more about your shop. I look forward to hearing back from you!
Suzanne:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a k-8 and special education art teacher in big city Oregon. I work at a diverse, low income school much like many schools in America. This blog is about the unique experience of teaching art to student's who's live are often in chaos.